I believe in Jesus Christ
1 Corinthians 1:4-9 June 27, 2010
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only son, our Lord. That is what the Apostles’ Creed says that we believe. We have stated this belief several times in our lives. What are we saying?
Are we saying we believe like the demons do? You know that demons shudder at the idea of Jesus. Or does our believing go deeper than that?
Notice the 3rd word. “In” is a powerful word. It means not just a topical or superficial belief. The word “In” means to go deeper. Yes, we know that 80% of the USA says there is a god. Many less than that show God their belief by worshipping him.
To put it another way, when we are baptized, we are placed “in” the water. That means we are placing our whole body, our whole person “in” God’s cleansing. It is therefore our whole person that believes in Jesus Christ.
2. One appointed
3. Not a last name!
4. We have grace from God through Jesus (1 Cor. 1:4)
5. We need God. We need the one sent by God. We need Jesus! And we get more than we expect when we believe in Jesus. The beginning of holiness happens as we believe in Christ. All aspects of our lives are affected by Jesus. All the water of baptism, no matter how much water is used, affects our whole life. So, we believe in God’s only Son.
B. His only Son
1. At the beginning (John 1:1)
2. Acknowledged as his Son
a. Matthew 3:17 – his baptism
b. Luke 9:35 – the transfiguration
3. Lived as a son – does what the Father does
4. All believers in Jesus are part of a fellowship
5. We need a close relationship with God. Several times in our lives we have seen the “good old boy” system work. You know where someone is in need of something, and someone else can take care of it, but you only get that person through a good friend? Sometimes these arrangements keep individuals out of prime opportunities for employment, school, and other endeavors. But in this case, knowing the only son of God helps. And all people can have the benefit of knowing Jesus. We can believe in the Lord.
C. Our Lord
1. Strengthens us (1 Corinthians 4:8)
2. Not just mine or yours, but our Lord
3. We have fellowship because of God’s Son
4. We have fellowship with Jesus!
a. He pulls us up out of the miry bog and sets our feet upon a rock
b. He walks and talks with us along the narrow way
c. He saves us from ourselves and our sin
d. He rules well even when we make wrong choices
5. How do we believers in Jesus Christ come together? All of us have sinned. We all receive forgiveness for our sins in the Name of Jesus. All barriers come down; we are no longer black, white, rich, poor, male, or female. All those who have accepted the cleansing from Jesus’ blood say that Jesus is Lord by the power of the Holy Spirit. It is because we know Jesus that we can believe in him. And it is because Jesus knows us that we can believe in him.
You can believe that the oil gushing in the Gulf of Mexico is a bad thing. You can believe your political party. You can believe some of what you hear other people say. Yet, all this believing does is scratch the surface of what is important in life.
But you can believe in Jesus Christ. It is in Jesus Christ that we find the ability to live. It is in his only Son that we find God has others whom know him. It is in our Lord that we have the strength to live each day.
We can believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord because it is all true. I believe in Jesus Christ. He has helped me overcome temptations. He has provided other believers to encourage me. He has helped me have the words to say when I could not come up with anything to say. If I can believe in Jesus Christ, then can’t you also believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord?