Hebrews 1:1-4, 2:5-12 October 7, 2012
When we consider how God has spoken over the years, we realize that God wants us. That’s deep! When we realize all that Jesus has done to get our attention, we realize that God is doing what is necessary to get us. That’s deep! When we realize how far Jesus leads us, we realize that God loves us. That’s deep!
Hebrews is deep because it calls us back to the Old Testament. As we look at the letter to the Hebrews, we realize that God has much for us. We have to decide if we are ready to hear. Even if we don’t want to hear what God is saying, He is going to say it! Let us see how God is speaking to us!
A. God speaks to us by a Son (1:1-4)
1. God used many ways to get people’s attention (1:1)
2. Now God is speaking to us through a Son (1:2)
a. Last days? The time before the judgment
b. Not only to individuals, but to the church!
3. Who is this Son? (1:3-4)
a. Heir of all things
b. Creator of the worlds
c. Reflection of God’s glory
d. Exact imprint of God’s very being
e. He keeps all things going
f. He is the one who purifies
g. He is at the right hand of the Majesty on high
h. Superior to angels
4. The God of all creation wants us! And he has a Son to get our attention. That’s deep! This is not idle bragging that the author of Hebrews is giving us. All these good things about a Son points to him being pretty special. How special is this Son?
B. Jesus was lower than angels, now he is higher (2:5-9)
1. The angels won’t control the coming world (2:5)
a. They were not called “son” (1:5)
b. The angels actually worship the son! (1:6)
c. The angels are here & gone, like wind and flame (1:7)
d. The son has a throne (1;8)
e. The oil of gladness is upon him for loving righteousness (1:9)
f. The son created, and will outlast creation! (1:10-11)
g. No angel uses enemies as footstools! (1;13)
h. The angels serve those who inherit salvation(1:14)
i. Pay attention!
j. If we don’t pay attention to the message from angels, we face a penalty (2:1-2)
k. What if we don’t pay attention to what a Son says? (2:3)
l. The many acts done by Jesus show that God is working (2:4)
2. Who then will control the coming world? (2:6-9)
a. A human being!
b. The one who is called son
c. He existed before creation
d. He was humiliated
e. He is exalted
3. Jesus was lower than the angels. But now he is not! That’s deep! When we realize all that Jesus has done to get our attention, we realize that God is doing what is necessary to get us. Because of what Jesus did on the cross, he has glory and honor. If that is what Jesus has, then what do we have?
C. Did you hear what we are called? (2:10-14)
1. God is working out the details
a. God made all things & he keeps them going
b. He brings many children to glory
– John Wesley: “Weaning us from sin & causing our affections to be set on things above”
c. He made Jesus perfect through sufferings
– Pioneer of their salvation
– Jesus obeyed, in spite of the trial he went through
2. We have one Father! (2:11-12)
a. Jesus is sanctified – the Son who died
– Sanctified – to be made holy
b. We are sanctified – we are guided by Jesus
c. Remember, the angels help us see what God has for us – namely salvation!
d. God has given us to Jesus (2:13)
3. We are children who have glory! We get that glory because of what Jesus did. That’s deep! Why is that deep? Because the glory we have is the salvation that Jesus gave us, we share with him! Jesus destroyed the power of death, even though he was human. And He helps us overcome death. We get tested in this life, but salvation and sanctification belong to us because Jesus is leading us to God. When we realize how far Jesus leads us, we realize that God loves us.
That’s deep! From since before creation, Jesus knew he was going to get us back to God. While Jesus the man lived, he suffered and died. Through his death, Jesus is able to lead us to God. As Jesus has been done the complete work of salvation, we get to become holy.
God has done this for us. He spoke through the prophets to get people’s attention. Even angels were sent to show us God’s love. But it took a Son to get our attention. As you are being sanctified by suffering and being glorified, then I sure hope that God keeps your attention. Who else is there for you to follow?