1 John 1
We know how it is. We walk into the store, the funeral home, or restaurant. There is somebody we know. We exchange pleasantries with them and they do the same. Somebody will end up saying, “It’s a good day to be alive!”
The response can be a simple, “Yes, it is.” The response can even be, “Any day that we are on the green side is a good day.” Then the other person will nod in agreement. We love life. We love to be alive. When we get into a longer conversation with the person we know, we realize how we do love life. There is something about knowing someone and gaining joy from knowing that person.
That’s how it is with knowing Jesus Christ. Oh, we don’t just exchange pleasantries with Jesus. We get into a longer conversation with Jesus about life. Our joy becomes complete as we are hanging out with Jesus. For the Word of Life was given to us. He who is Eternal life was with God and is now with us. We now have the opportunity to be with God.
A. The Word of Life brings much to our life (1:1-5)
1. John the apostle is passing along what he knows about Jesus
a. It is from the beginning
b. Heard, seen, examined, touched, & testified about
2. We get to have fellowship with the Father, Jesus, and other believers
a. Brought to us by the Eternal life revealed to us
b. We talk about this fellowship
3. When we know this fellowship, our joy will be complete
4. Eternal life was with God and is now with us. How much joy we can have in our lives! How much joy we have because we fellowship with the Father and his Son! How much joy we have because we fellowship with other believers! Did we catch that, the Word of Life has come to be with us! What more could we want?
B. God is light (1:6-10)
1. There is no darkness at all in God – this is good for us!
2. We walk in the light or we walk in the darkness
3. We can deceive ourselves – but it won’t deceive God
4. How can we have his word in us?
a. We have fellowship with one another
b. The blood of Jesus his son cleanses us from all sin
5. If we say we have no sin, then what do we do?
a. We confess our sins, or we make God to be a liar! (Since he is light, he can’t be a liar!)
b. God, who is faithful & just, will forgives us & cleanse us from all unrighteousness
6. Eternal life was with God and is now with us. God is light. So, we get to have eternal life as we walk in the light.
Eternal life was with God and is now with us. Are we with him? Are we walking in the light? Are we having fellowship with God and other believers?
We can love life. We can have eternal life. We can have eternal life now. The Word of Life has come to us. We can live with the Word of life, walk in the light.
Maybe there is sin in our lives that keeps us have from having fellowship with God. Maybe there is darkness that keeps us from having fellowship with other believers. These are keeping us from living the eternal life God has for us. God has given us eternal life through Jesus, the word of life.
Let’s confess our sins to God. Then we can have fellowship with God and other Christians. Then we can walk in the light.