We want more people to believe in Jesus Christ. How do more people come to believe in Jesus Christ? More people will believe in Jesus Christ the same way we came to believe in Jesus Christ.
How did we come to believe in Jesus Christ? Our believing in Jesus Christ may have happened like it did for the man born blind. Somewhere along in our live, Jesus entered our life. We may have been blind to the idea that we could be loved. We may have been blind to the truth of God’s love. However we were, Jesus didn’t leave us that way.
Before we did not believe in much of anything, now we believe in Jesus Christ. We have each responded to Jesus’ question: “Do you believe in the Son of Man?”
A. How did the Blind Man get to the point of believing in the Son of Man? (9:1-37)
1. Jesus was walking along and saw the man blind from birth
a. The disciples asked if the man or his parents sinned for him to be born blind
b. Jesus: Neither. This man was born blind so that God’s works might be revealed in him!
c. Jesus: This is the work of God, I and you are to be about this work
d. Jesus: I am the light of the world
2. Jesus made mud, placed it on the man’s eyes, & told him to wash in the pool of Siloam
3. The Pharisees, the religious leaders, didn’t like this work on the Sabbath
a. They questioned the man born blind
i. The blind man said Jesus was a man
ii. After the Jews questioned him, the man said Jesus a prophet
iii. The man’s parents didn’t want to speak for Jesus, because they didn’t want ousted from the synagogue!
iv. After the 2nd round of questions, the man said Jesus was from God!
– “Give glory to God!”
– Tell the truth
4. The man born blind was healed by Jesus. He gained his sight very quickly. As he is questioned about what happened to him, the blind man gained sight to who Jesus is. The opposite seemed to happen to the religious leaders. As they questioned the blind man, it becomes evident that they lack sight to see who Jesus is. It is when Jesus meets up with the blind man again that the man recognizes Jesus for who he is. It is when Jesus meets up with the blind man again that the religious leaders fail to recognize Jesus for who he is.
B. Jesus and the Blind Man (9:35-38)
1. Jesus does not drive out people (6:37)
2. “you” (συ) the man, not the leaders, have seen him
3. Son of Man – the one who comes before the final judgment
a. Jesus is the future judge
b. The Blind Man accepts Jesus as the “Son of Man”
c. The man has gained insight in faith
o He has sight
o He worships Jesus (gives glory to God)
4. The blind man is not blind in any area of his life. He can see everything around him. He can even see that Jesus is the Son of Man! This is the judgment for which Jesus has come into the world.
C. Judgment happens (9:39-41)
1. Jesus came into the world for judgment
a. Son of Man
b. Sight/blindness – spiritual Isaiah 6:10; 42:18-25
2. Sin = resistance to Jesus (the leaders judge themselves)
3. Jesus’ incarnation/life brings salvation from sin
4. The religious leaders judged themselves. For they failed to see Jesus as the Son of Man. Even today, there are people who judge themselves by not believing in Jesus. Yes, by not believing in Jesus we sin. Once we see Jesus working in this world, it is good for us to believe in the Son of Man.
This is one way we come to believe in Jesus Christ. Jesus sees us. Jesus gives us sight. We recognize Jesus as being from God. We believe in Jesus as the Son of Man. There are more people in this world who need to see Jesus. They just might see Jesus in how we give God the glory for Jesus.
For when we believe in the Son of Man, we worship Jesus. Keep on worshiping Jesus. For then more people will get to see Jesus. Keep on worshiping Jesus. For then more people will get to believe in the Son of Man.