I’ve had this bag of pepper seeds for about ten years. Oh, they may produce some pepper plants. But I don’t know if they will. I haven’t sown these seeds. I mean I could, but I just haven’t taken it upon myself to sow these pepper seeds. I’m going to miss out on some good peppers. It will be difficult to enjoy these peppers the way they are now. But I have these pepper seeds.
That is right; there is one thing I can do to prevent seeds from producing anything. When I decide to not plant seeds, then I am preventing the seeds from growing. Yet, when I plant the seeds, I have no control over what they do. I mean the seeds could produce such a harvest that I couldn’t control it. Or the seeds I sow may do absolutely nothing.
Our farmers and gardeners know the joy of a productive season. When the seeds are sown, there is anticipation of a good harvest. We want and hope for a bountiful harvest. So, the farmers and gardeners among us will go ahead and sow seeds, looking toward the harvest.
This is how the kingdom of God is. The kingdom of God is all about the harvest. As we follow Jesus, does this mean we are to be all about the harvest? For when we look toward the harvest, we get to see God at work.
A. Jesus has been talking about sowing seeds (4:1-25)
1. Seeds will be scattered all around
2. Parables help us decide if we want to be part of the kingdom of God
3. When seeds are sown in people, they decide
a. Hear the word
b. Accept the word
c. Bear fruit – 30, 60, or even 100 fold!
4. Once we know Jesus, then we can shine where we are
5. Once we know Jesus, then we obligated to sow seeds – or we lose it
6. Jesus is about sowing seeds. Jesus is looking toward the harvest. We too can be about sowing seeds. We too can be about looking toward the harvest.
B. Would you scatter seed on the ground? (4:26-29)
1. The Kingdom of God is being scattered around
2. Once we scatter seeds, we have no idea how they grow
3. God works it out so the earth produces
c. Full grain in the head
4. When we see the harvest, we go and bring in the harvest! We may have sown the seed that we are harvesting. Someone else may have sown the grain that we are harvesting. Someone else may have watered the grain that we are harvesting. We can be part of bringing in the harvest.
The kingdom of God is about the harvest. Jesus was trying to get us to understand the work we do in the kingdom of God. We get to sow seeds. We get to speak about Jesus Christ whenever we can, wherever we are.
But will we be part of the kingdom of God? If we don’t plant our seeds, will we get to see the harvest? If we don’t plant the seeds, will we get to be in the kingdom of God?