We don’t have our Christmas card ready yet. But we are ready for life with Jesus.
We haven’t made any Christmas cookies yet. But we are ready for life with Jesus.
We haven’t picked up the Christmas treats for the rabbit and the dogs. But we are ready for life with Jesus.
With all of the preparations for Christmas, it seems almost a relief when Christmas arrives. We get all ready for the day that by the time Christmas Day arrives we are too tired to enjoy it! Yet we know the season of Advent is more than sending cards in the mail, baking cookies, and buying presents.
Advent is about making preparations for life with Jesus. During Advent we remember Jesus’ first arrival. We also get ready for Jesus’ second coming. John the Baptizer spent his ministry getting people ready for Jesus’ coming. How did the crowds get ready then? They were baptized for the forgiveness of sins. How do we get ready today for Jesus’ arrival? We get baptized with the Holy Spirit.
This is good news! Jesus Christ has good news for us. Jesus Christ is good news for us. When we receive this good news, our life is marked by being baptized. This washing called baptism is a preparation for all God has for us. Like Advent is more than getting ready for Christmas, baptism is more than a final destination for us.
A. There is good news! (1:1)
1. Mark records the beginning of the good news of Jesus Christ
2. Jesus is the Christ – the anointed one of God
3. Jesus is the Son of God – the actual, one and only descendant of God!
4. With this good news, we gotta be ready for Jesus coming into this world. The gospel of Jesus Christ starts here. But it doesn’t end here. The good news of Jesus Christ continues. Wouldn’t we want to be part of what God has for us? If we do, then we get to decide to be part of what God is doing in this world.
B. What are we to do with this good news? (1:2-8)
1. John the Baptizer is the messenger of this good news
2. John prepares the way of the Lord
3. If baptism was all we did, then how could we follow the way of the Lord?
4. Confessing our sins is our part of the preparation for life with Jesus
5. Baptism with the Holy Spirit is God’s part of our preparation for life with Jesus
6. It took a prophet to get Israel ready for Jesus’ first arrival. It takes a prophet to get us ready for Jesus’ second arrival.
So you have been baptized. So what. Our baptism means very little unless our paths are straight. Our baptism means very little unless we are living the way of the Lord. Our baptism prepares us for life with Jesus.
Now that we know the good news of Jesus Christ, we can live in the power of the Holy Spirit. For Jesus didn’t just give us His Holy Spirit for the day of our baptism. We receive the good news of Jesus Christ for all of our days. We received the Holy Spirit so we could be ready for when Jesus Christ arrives again here on earth.